Friday 3 June 2011

Made IT!

I made it to Cape Town - phew!  Only took 29ish hours but got here late last night and had a great day today getting all set up (cars, cell phones - think old school nokia's, internet, groceries, etc).  A few updates for you guys:

Apartment: we really do live in a mall - it's bizarre but pretty fantastic.  We have to walk through the mall to get to our apartments so if we didn't have jobs, we could realistically never leave.  We got our phones here today, had lunch here, and even bought groceries.  We have a small kitchen, bathroom, living area, and two beds (think hotel) - they come clean, change the sheets, etc everyday which is great.  We're pretty centrally located and think we're only about 6 or so blocks from where I'll be working (although Melissa, our organizer, said we should still drive).  Also, there is no heat... and it's cold.  I definitely did not expect it to be as cold as it is (people keep telling us this is unseasonably cold so I'm crossing my fingers it warms up).  As such, both Kirsten, my roommate, and I, are quite bundled up and I stole an extra comforter from Drew, another intern who is living by himself with two beds, so hopefully I'll be warmer tonight.  If it doesn't get warm soon, we'll likely get a space heater - it's that cold. 

Cars: haven't had to drive on the left side yet but we do have two cars between the six of us - tiny little Hyundai Jazz' I believe and no issues with my temporary license (Kel - any luck on a license in the mail??)

Cape Town: not at ALL like I expected Africa to be - it's super developed and you can get pretty much anything you need inside our mall.  Some of the houses are beautiful and Table Mountain (which borders CT on one side) is HUGE and gorgeous.  We went down to the waterfront this evening and it reminds me of Newport Beach - it's all very new looking, with fancy stores, and fabulous/expensive restaurants - very weird.  The town is very hilly which makes for some gorgeous views but definitely a tough run (went on a short one today with Drew and am hoping they get longer throughout the summer).  However, just a 4 minute drive out of CT is completely different - the highways are surrounded by townships which are more of what I expected when I pictured Africa - tiny little huts/sheds, super crowded, trash all over, laundry hanging, etc. 

We have a meeting scheduled for tomorrow afternoon with our employer so hopefully I'll get a bit more detail on what I'll actually be doing here!  

No comments:

Post a Comment